Australian Government to Support 2018 Elections
Official signing of the financing agreement between Australia and the United Nations Development Program for the SACEM Project Basket Fund
The Australian Government announced today its participation in the Basket Fund of the SACEM project, to help Madagascar conduct free, fair, transparent, and inclusive elections in 2018. Her Excellency Jenny Dee, Ambassador of Australia to Madagascar and Ms. Violette Kakyomya, UNDP Resident Representative, signed a financing agreement at the headquarters of the United Nations, in Andraharo. Australia will contribute to the multi-donor project implemented by UNDP.
Australia’s Ambassador to Madagascar, Ms Jenny Dee said: “Australia is pleased to be partnering with UNDP to strengthen capacity of media professionals in Madagascar and provide support to national institutions as part of the SACEM project. Promoting good governance and independent democratic institutions is key to Australia’s international engagement and are essential to inclusive socio-economic development, peace and prosperity.”
The Independent National Electoral Commission (CENI) thanked the Australian Government and its representatives in Madagascar for their contribution to the electoral process in Madagascar.
UNDP Resident Representative, Ms. Violette Kakyomya, stressed the importance of developing consultations frameworks at national level, in order to « allow institutions to share, on the one hand, a common understanding of the legal framework and, on the other hand, operational information for the proper management of the electoral process. »
Launched in January 2017, the SACEM project aims to supervise and manage electoral assistance, and to strengthen the capacities of the CENI. It supports the implementation of activities organized around five components:
- The improvement of the completeness, reliability and security of the voters’ roll;
- The reorganization of the legal and regulatory frameworks for the elections;
- The deployment an awareness and civic education campaign;
- A substantial support for electoral operations, with a focus on logistics (printed materials), training, data transmission, maintenance and facilitation of the consultation frameworks instituted by the CENI;
- Technical assistance to the CENI and project management.
30 May 2018